Friday, February 3, 2012

Bobby Kennedy Pie


"Few men are willing to brave the disapproval of their fellows, the censure of their colleagues, the wrath of society. Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital, quality for those who seek to change a world which yields most painfully to change." -- Robert F Kennedy



Chris and I have formed a recent (and probably lasting) obsession with Bobby Kennedy, everyone’s favorite Attorney General. Last week, we started watching “The Kennedy’s” on Netflix, which is a mini-series that aired sometime last year. Honestly, we were only interested in it because we had heard about the controversy surrounding the show. Naturally, we HAD to see what the hype was about. We’re totally sucked in and sometimes think we’re Kennedys, or at least close family confidants. The drama is GREAT. We Wikipedia every detail after we watch an episode.  There are only 8 episodes and we have 3 more to go. It’s funny because we know what’s going to happen, but we’re still so enthralled. Emotions will run high.

Anyway, Bobby is our favorite Kennedy because he was truly a stand-up guy who was not afraid to speak his mind and stand up for himself, his beliefs, and his family. He was probably loyal to a fault. He was a mover and a shaker, and probably would have gone even further had his life not been cut short. Oh, and he was a pretty good lookin’ dude, too.

So now on to the pie… One of the worst parts (I’m not afraid to admit it…it sucks) about being gluten-free is being dessert-free. Dark chocolate is probably my favorite food. I love(d) rich chocolate desserts like brownies, cheesecakes, regular cakes, cookies, etc. and I miss them so much. But I’m not gonna lie, even when I could eat those things, I didn’t make them for myself very often. I’m a very discouraged baker after one too many incidents with baking attempts gone wrong. Just ask my Mom or my brother. Or don’t, they have really embarrassing stories. It’s bad. So I was a little hesitant to try making this pie, but Chris encouraged me, and we really really wanted chocolate this week. I’m happy to say that it went well…so well that we decided to name it after the man of the hour, Bobby Kennedy.



This is the easiest thing you’ll ever do. And you’ll get your chocolate fix in the best way. And fall in love with Bobby.

Cookie crust ingredients:
·      One 7oz bag of Pamela’s Simplebites Mini Extreme Chocolate Cookies ($2-$3…not bad)
·      ½ cup melted butter
·      1/3 cup sugar

Pie filling ingredients:
·      One box of Jell-o Pudding Mix (we got Chocolate Fudge…cook as instructed)
·      Whipped cream (we got store brand)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400°. Make the pudding using the instructions on the box (milk and mix…even I could do it). Pour the whole bag of cookies into a gallon-sized bag, seal it up, and crush’em. I used an empty wine bottle, and it worked GREAT. Make sure the crumbs are pretty fine. 

Next, pour the crumbs into a medium sized bowl and ad the sugar and melted butter. I used my hands to combine/mix everything together (its fun). Then, pour the mixture into a pie pan and press/spread it over the bottom and sides until it seems like the pan is totally covered without holes. 


Bake the crust for 10 minutes, and then let it cool while you finish an episode of “The Kennedy’s”. Next, pour/spread the pudding into the pie pan. Lastly, top the thing with a layer of whipped cream. We forgot to get ours out of the freezer and it was kind of hard to spread, so set it out for a little while. Put the pie in the fridge for about an hour to let it set, then dig in!

We absolutely love this pie, and you will too. Gluten-free does not have to mean dessert free. So, thank you Bobby Kennedy, for inspiring us and keeping us entertained for hours on end.

My new approach to being GF using Mr. Kennedy’s wise words: 'Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not.'

No comments:

Post a Comment