Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!


So I think I’ve mentioned it before, but just to reiterate, I am a fairly picky eater. As a kid, I was an obnoxiously picky eater. Nothing spicy, nothing chunky, no condiments, nothing pickled, nothing ethnic, etc.

My college life, then my “adult” life (if you can even call it that), have forced me to branch out and try new things so that I don’t embarrass myself. Of note, I now LOVE tomatoes. LOVE them. I used to hate them. I had to have smooth pasta sauce, and wouldn’t even consider salsa. I also like a little bite to my food. I like onions, but really only cooked ones. I recently discovered that I like brussel sprouts as well. I distinctly remember the last time I had them. I told my dad they tasted like grass, and that was it. 15-20 years later, they taste like yum.

Even though I am a ridiculously picky eater, I have a bucket list of sorts of the foods I wish I liked, and hope to some day.


1.     Blueberries. 


    • Why? Well, because they are so good for you and because they are so damn common. Think about it…they’re in everything from muffins to Vitamin Water.
    • Why not? I’ve tried them, I really have! I just don’t like the flavor. Maybe one day.
 
2.     Oranges.


    • Why? They’re also super common and super good for you.  They may be even more common than blueberries. It’s embarrassing.
    • Why not? My Dad used to make me drink orange juice when I was sick. I hated it every time. It’s more of a hate for all citrus flavors. Bummer.
 
3.     Mushrooms.


    • Why? This is really just a common-ness thing. It’s embarrassing to pick them out of my food when I’m eating out or at someone’s house. Yeah I’m that girl.


    • Why not? I hate the texture. Same thing with eggplant. Can’t deal. 
 
4.     Bell Peppers.


    • Why? Well, I eat a lot of Mexican food now, and peppers are a Mexican staple. Seems like it’s about time I get with it.
    • Why not? Maybe I just don’t like them raw? I’m willing to try them again soon.
 
5.     Avocados.


    • Why? I love sushi, and all the good sushi has avocado in it!


    • Why not? Texture. It’s slimy and mushy.



That’s right, everybody! I was recently able to cross Avocados off my list! I went to visit my friend Haley in Charleston this past weekend, and she made me the best breakfast complete with a fried egg over medium topped with sliced avocado! She made me do it…and I’m so glad she did! It wasn’t bad at all. I’m so excited to add it to my palate. Thanks, Hales!

There’s also a list of things I don’t like and I’m fine with it. I’ll never like them. Ever. Don’t even try it.

1.     Pickles
2.     Mustard (all varieties)
3.     Mayonnaise
4.     Olives
5.     White chocolate

Anyway, in keeping with things we LIKE, chicken breasts happened to be on sale on sale this week. I’m usually not a huge fan of breasts because I fell like they get dry and bland. Lucky for me, I live with Chris, who suggested we make BBQ chicken for a little change-up. It was delicious and super simple.

The recipe only called for 3 ingredients, all of which we already had (minus the chicken), made a great playlist, and had a grand ol’ time.

Blue ribbon BBQ Chicken

Ingredients:
·      2 medium sized boneless skinless chicken breasts
·      Your favorite BBQ sauce.
·      Light Brown sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°.

Place 2 chicken breasts on a cookie sheet lined with foil.

Squirt the desired amount of BBQ sauce on each breast on one side.


Sprinkle a handful of brown sugar on each breast.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes.

Flip the breasts, and repeat the BBQ sauce and brown sugar process.

Bake for an additional 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool if your nose will allow.

BONUS! We also wanted to share our new favorite way to make asparagus. They’re so pretty and green and on sale this time of year…

Favorite Asparagus

Ingredients:
·      Fresh Asparagus
·      EVOO
·      Garlic (powder or minced)
·      Cajun seasoning

Directions:

Heat a small skillet with a ring of EVOO and a teaspoon of garlic on medium. Chop the desired amount of asparagus into bite sized pieces.

When skillet is warm, add asparagus. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning.

Sautee the asparagus until they get a little soft.

We also made the BEST Butternut squash risotto with this meal. We ate off of the china and watched more Grey’s. 

I’m still obsessed. It’s getting so intense, and Chris won’t tell me anything! I’m freaking out.

Anywho, this dinner was a real WINNER!  


We're planning on starting our garden this weekend! Stay tuned.


Check out Whitney and Nate's progress:

No comments:

Post a Comment