Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Infinite Stir fry-abilities

Before I get into our Asian adventure, I have a story…

I can’t remember the last time I had a sandwich, like a good, sub-style sandwich. When I was in college, I used to frequent the BEST sandwich place in Clemson (and in my opinion, the world), Pot Belly Deli, at least once a week. Good thing I graduated, because it would probably be my biggest gluten temptation. But, I did go back in the fall, and brought two slices of Udi’s Sandwich bread, and they made my favorite sandwich on that, instead! They’re so great.

Anyway, in Atlanta, Jimmy John’s is a seemingly popular sub place. My friends and co-workers talk about it all the time. I had never been, and never thought I’d go, because well, it’s a sandwich joint…nothing for little ol' gluten-free me. Well, I went for the first time this weekend because my sweet friend Kathryn informed me of Jimmy John’s lettuce wrap option! The lettuce replaces the bread…genius. I’ll be honest, it doesn’t sound that appealing, but it was actually really good! I didn’t miss the bread at all. Such a great discovery, thanks Kat.

This week, we’re continuing our gluten-free trip around the food world, and last night we made a stop in stir-fry land.

I think stir-fry is a commonly overlooked meal, and its unfortunate because stir-fry is so great for so many different reasons.

1.     It can be made into a variety of varieties. It’s almost like the homemade pizza for us gluten-free folks. You can make it with any, all, or some of your favorite ingredients and flavors. Whatever you’re in the mood for that week, or in our case, whatever is on sale!
2.     My two favorite words: Quick & Easy. Especially on late work nights. And we like to get some yoga in before dinner if at all possible, so stir-fry is the perfect thing to make on nights like those. We tag team in the kitchen, and its ready in about 15 minutes.
3.     It doesn’t have to be frozen: We’ve all seen those stir-fry mixes that come with the chicken and sauces all in one frozen bag? Well, making it fresh is maybe a teeny bit “harder”, but it’s so worth it. We like to include a fresh veggie or two from the produce department (whatever is on sale, and add carrots of course), then we add fresh chicken for a special treat, and flavor with GF soy sauce. The end product is so much better, and probably better for you.
4.     Leftovers: are just as good if not better than the night before!
5.     Protein + Carb + Veggies= full, happy ladies who won’t feel bad about eating a little chocolate afterwards.
6.     Make-your-own-stir-fry Restaurants: We went to Chow Baby for my birthday last year. They have just about anything you could think to make zillions of different stir-fry’s. Genghis Grill is another good one. It’s kinda fun, too!

Last night, the sale flyer led us to having a Zucchini & Squash stir-fry with brown rice we had leftover from Red Beans & Rice. The squash made for some pretty colors, presentation wise, and tasted fantastic.

Chicken-Squash Stir-fry:

·      4 servings Brown Rice
·      2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (on sale)
·      1 medium Zucchini squash
·      1 medium yellow squash
·      EVOO
·      Gluten-free Soy Sauce (Reduced Sodium)
·      Salt
·      Pepper
·      Garlic Powder

Start by slicing the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add a ring of EVOO to the pan, and then add the chicken, and a dash of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 
 Cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. It will be about time to get the rice started. Make 4 servings following the directions on the box of whatever type you use. While chicken is cooking, slice the zucchini and yellow squash into about ¼” thick slices. 

Add squash to the pan, and cook until the squash is soft, about 5-7 minutes. 

About a minute or two before it’s done, add soy sauce. Add as much or as little as desired. 

The rice should be done around the same time.

Serve the meat and veggies on a bed of brown rice. Add extra soy sauce as needed. Chris garnished hers with mandarin oranges!

If you’re like my Mom, you’d prefer your stir fry with Sriracha sauce and a Diet Coke.

See, so many options.

We ate off of the china and watched an episode of Grey’s.

Stir-fry is an excellent gluten-free option, and the possibilities are endless. This recipe is super simple, but thinking about other combinations makes me excited for next time. Who knows what we’ll come up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment