Thursday, March 1, 2012

" Sh*t girls say" Steak


You’ve probably noticed a few common themes in this blog. There’s the obvious one – the whole gluten-free thing, and there’s the cheap and easy one. Well, I pretty much make it my business to NOT eat things like steak; not because I don’t LIKE steaks, but more because I can’t afford to BUY them. Also, I haven’t the slightest idea how to cook a good one. Not cheap, not easy, not gonna happen…until NOW (well, the other day)!

Thanks to my friend, Ryan, and a donation from my brother, Arlo, I now know how to make the perfect steak, and since this will probably be a rarity, I figured I should document it before I forget it! Me cooking this steak was absolutely ridiculous, and reminded me of those “Sh*t Girls Say” videos. I was embarrassing to listen to and watch I’m sure. I was freaking out.

So Arlo is making some healthy moves in his life, and wanted to get rid of some “junk” food at his place. Yeah, he brought it all to us. He loaded us up with this and that, but the highlight was a nice little flat iron steak for two. So we added it to the Google doc for the next week.

My initial plan was to throw some salt and pepper on it and slap it on the grill for who knows how long. Good thing Ryan, a Sous Chef at The Iberian Pig, my favorite restaurant in Atlanta (so good, so gluten-free friendly), was around when I was getting it ready! I’m going to try my best to explain his magical powers…

“Sh*t Girls Say” Steak

·      1 (1lb) Flat iron steak (or any cut you’d like)
·      EVOO
·      Butter


Marinade:
·      Spicy Brown mustard
·      Dale’s Seasoning
·      Worcestershire sauce
·      Italian dressing
·      Salt
·      Pepper
·      Garlic (minced)

We used a squirt, a squeeze, or a pinch of everything. No measuring. Combine ingredients in a decent sized plastic container. Mix everything together with a fork, then add your steak. The marinade should be slightly covering the meat.

Cover the container, and put it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook. I let my marinade for about an hour, but Chef Ryan said the time didn’t matter.

When you’re ready to cook, heat a large skillet on high. It should be super duper hot. 

Meanwhile, remove the steak from the marinade, and pat it dry with paper towels. It should still be moist, but not sopping.

Add a splash of EVOO to the skillet. I cut the steak in half, but it’s not a must.

Using tongs, place one half into the skillet on. Be sure to place it to the side in the pan as opposed to the middle. Sear for 4 minutes. 

At around the 3-minute mark, place a slab of butter on top of the steak, allowing it to melt down and around the meat. Before flipping the steak, tilt the pan towards you so that the juices run to the opposite side of the pan. Flip the steak, placing it in the juices. Sear that side for another 4 minutes.


**This cook time is for a medium-rare steak, so add a minute on each side for a more well-done steak**

We paired our steak with gluten-free couscous, and some canned creamed corn. No need for steak sauce. In true "Sh*t Girls Say" fashion, all I could say was, well THAT just happened.
 
The kitchen got a little smoky, but it was worth it, because it was SO GOOD! I still can’t believe I did it! It was a special treat that night, and we all smelled like a steak house for a few days afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment